Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Techie Babble from the Cyborg


Technology currently occupies a large portion of my daily existence. It keeps me contained, organized, and connected. I feel as if my life is in my laptop (she's called the Silver Surfer by the way). If I lost her or killed her, I would be slightly upset.

My dad was a gift-giver. It was his love language you might say. And he liked to gift what I saw as technology. He did not use it himself, but he thought it wise to give to me as if I had some special knowledge about it because I was a youngin'. My first memory of technology might be the Speak n Spell. I can hear that robotic voice ringing through my head as I write this and its long-term effect might be that I am still a terrible speller. After that came a tape recorder, an Atari (with Frogger), the Sony Walkman, and the very first tape I picked out myself – Whitney Houston.
Computers started to be used in school and I loved going to computer class where all we did was play Oregon Trail and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. Every game felt like a new adventure and I am immensely lucky that for some reason my video game obsession ended there – I could have easily become an addict. Even though my friends were all getting Nintendos and such, my mom did not think I needed the distraction. My job was to do well in school, not play video games. Good job, Mom.

I remember typing my senior year papers at a friend's house on the blue screen. I would laugh at how fast the curser could move. I started out with the two-finger typing system and I must say that I was quite quick at it. My advisor convinced me to take a typing course my last semester of school. I really should send her a thank you message on Facebook about that – it has had a tremendous influence on my life as now I don't even like to write by hand much anymore.

Then came my first email account. It was my college email account and I couldn't believe how easy it was to keep in touch with everyone! When I went back to teach as an adjunct at my alma mater, it was a source of pride that I could get back my college email address and be newman001 again. All was right with the world.

Next came my desktop, then a cell phone, a laptop, a better cell phone, a Mac (once you go Mac, you never go back), and an iPhone. In the middle came more and more technology - a car, electronic musical equipment, a flat screen TV, and so on and so on. Before I knew it I found myself involved in social networking sites, website development, and digital music recording.

That brings me all to today. I barely watch TV, I dislike driving, I do not even listen to my voicemail (so never leave me one), and I sometimes even turn off my cell phone. I get annoyed with my inability to find free cloud space for all my GBs of files, with a slow internet connection, and with difficult to read websites.

I feel lucky to be born in 1977 when I was in the midst of a grand tech leap. I could grow up without the plethora of technology we have today. I saw it arrive, was amazed by it, and can still appreciate all it has to offer. I am still even occasionally wowed by it. I have used it and abused it and now it is part of me. I try to separate myself but I don't know if I can anymore. I'm ok with being part Borg. I have paired it down to what works for me. I see technology as a neutral tool – able to be what I need it to be on my terms. I refuse to be overwhelmed or dominated by it. There is always an off switch and before I try a new a form of technology I make sure I know precisely where that is.  

1 comment:

  1. oooo a laptop called the Silver Sufer! I may have to steal that name for my MacBook Air, although I am fond of it's current name, Galactica.

    There's a lot of interesting video game based learning in your technology story. Even your typing a paper story has an element of fun to it. This link between fun and learning is often missed or forgotten by educators. It is certainly under studied, though people in the computers and composition area are more likley to explore it than anyone else.

    Very interesting post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for engaging with the information!